List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Icon emblems
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () cirulla ! net>
Date:       2005-03-09 16:10:46

El Miércoles 09 Marzo 2005 16:17, Sébastien Laoût escribió:

> The only problem is we currently can have folder_blue, folder_green,
> folder_red... Not doable with emblems.

Uh ? Why not? Isn't an emblem overlaid over the normal icon?
If so, I don't see any conflict between the two things.

They could offer two different purposes: colored folders could provide
neighborhood memory, emblems could be used to mark files/folders as
important, etc.

I'd hate to see colored folders go, I use to change folder colors more or
less randomly when I have too many directories. I think it helps me find
the folders faster that way.

I have in my todo list the option to change in the icon views to use a hash
of the file name to chose automatically a different color. Well, it's true
that using emblems could be doable too...

Since we are talking of folder icons: are open folders used anywhere?

> So, 4 solutions:
> - Keep folder icon changeable as now, in plus of emblems
> - Allow to choose a color for the folder in a combobox
> - Add a color propertie for folders, as Mac OS 9 does (Mac OS X allow to
>   have "color labels for files" but only colors filename, not icon, as
>   I read). Make this propertie available for files too...
>   A bit cluttering (items have an icon, some emblems and a color... too
>   much, I think).
> - Drop the colorings. I don't think I would like that but I suspect I'm
>   using colored folders were I can't find any suitable icons. So
>   perhapse when emblem will be there I will use suitable emblems
>   instead. Any other testimony?
>
> Where to save emblems?

How does Nautilus do? I think we should share the same method, if it's
practical.

> In the .directory as icons are.
>  emblems=work,important
> Perhapse a ~/.kde/share/config/emblems file:
>  [emblems]
>  number=3
>  icon1=pen
>  label1=work
>  icon2=message_important
>  label2=important
>  icon3=star
>  label3=favorite
>
> In the past I've seen a proposal on kde-apps.org to add icons to root
> folders: a launcher icon for /bin, a papers icon for /etc, a blocks icon
> for /dev...
> This can be done with emblems.
> But globally, so allow to have system wide and user wide emblems?
> Should user include his emblems AND the emblems of the system?

If we want to go that way, emblems could be configured globally, with user
preferences overriding global preferences... as usual.

The user should have the last word.

> I don't think users are interested in having "/bin" emblem to use for
> his personal files...
> So perhapse drop the idea.
>
> Voilà.
>
> Séb.

Luciano Montanaro

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a yo-yo
                                                          - Enoch Root