List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The new KFileDialog
From:       Thomas Zander <zander32 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-02-23 9:43:39

Hi Aaron.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:52:07 -0700, Aaron Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> On February 22, 2005 11:49, Andras Mantia wrote:
> >  I'm a little late with this, as I only updated my kdelibs today, but
> > I'm very sad to see that the KFileDialog is not so nice as before. I
> > don't have a problem with using the blue shading instead of the sinked
> > bevel, but I have with the color of the quick-folder (or how it is
> > called) area. With the standard colors it is the same gray (or for my
> > eyes the same) as the dialog frame (Window Background color). But it
> > isn't the Window Background color itself, and I couldn't figure out
> > which color it is.
>
> yes, it is the window background color.
>
> >  Previously it was a darker gray, and it stood out nicely.
>
> that's sort of the issue. it stood out rather glaringly. it's not necessary to
> hit people over the head with sledgehammers, in fact doing so makes our gui's
> appear heavy, busy and "bloated". i hate those terms probably as much as you
> do because we both know it's "just aesthetics", but it's how people perceive
> things.

Well, seeing that my filedialog just became a lot less usable with
your changes I am pretty sure we went from the rain to a desert.  Too
big a change overshooting the goal.
See attached screenshot of what I am seeing now; with my old color scheme.
The problem I see is
a) the sidebar is not distinctive from the rest of the dialog anymore.
 This is bad since it controls navigation completely outside of all
the other widgets.  So it should really be outside the rest of the
dialog, or distinctive enough to be percieved as a different scope.
b) we now have the same text-selected color for the normal text
(mostly black) as well as for the text that is normally positioned on
top of a really dark color.
In effect having 3 light colors trying to be contrasting..

I suggest;
1) you use the normal 'selected text' color for the selected title
2) you use a color for the background of the sidebar thats more
towards the selected text color.  So take the background and take the
selected text color and use a color thats 30% between them.

--
Thomas Zander

["sidebar.png" (image/png)]