List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [patch] Making it harder to accidentially quit a system tray
From:       James Ots <kde () jamesots ! com>
Date:       2005-02-15 22:16:19

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 21:54, David Faure wrote:
> It would be much better if the popup would appear a bit further away from
> the systray icon [as I requested in a BR long ago...]
>
> This is exactly why we don't accidentally hit menu items (we click on the
> menu, but the popup appears under the menu, not right under the mouse), but
> we accidentally hit systray popup menu items - because the popup is far too
> close to the mouse.
>
> Hiding Quit is really an ugly hack, which doesn't solve the accidental
> activation of any other item in the popup. (e.g. kppp's Disconnect, which
> is located at the bottom of kppp's systray popupmenu).

At least in KDE 3.3.2, the klipper has a popup menu which appears like a menu
(i.e. next to the icon - rather than at the mouse like a context menu), which
is lovely because I never it the wrong entry. It also toggles like a menu -
click on it and it appears, click again and it disappears.

The other menus appear a little random - most of the time they appear with a
corner at the mouse pointer, but sometimes they appear with an edge at the
mouse pointer, and sometimes they appear under the pointer - which is the
worst because then I immediately choose something, often other than quit.

My solution is to always click and hold - saves having nasty accidents.

What I'd like... (one or more of these, and if they're already implemented,
please let me know!)

To have the option of the menu only appearing when you let go of the mouse
(like in windows).

To have a border on menus which isn't clickable, or to have the menu appear a
couple of pixels away from the pointer.

To have the menu never appear under the mouse pointer. (Is that a QT problem?)

--
Cheers
James Ots