List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [patch] Making it harder to accidentially quit a system tray
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-15 21:54:17

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 23:26, Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I and others have been annoyed how easy it is to "slip" when clicking a
> systray icon and accidentially quitting the application. The "slip" in slow
> motion:
>
> 1. downclick the systray icon
> 2. drag the mouse pointer slightly to hover over Quit in the popupmenu
> 3. release the mouse pointer.
>
> User's intention  was to click the systray icon. Instead he quits the
> application. Surprisingly easy to do.
>
> The attached patch fixes this by disabling Quit for a very short period
> (0.3s).

It would be much better if the popup would appear a bit further away from
the systray icon [as I requested in a BR long ago...]

This is exactly why we don't accidentally hit menu items (we click on the menu,
but the popup appears under the menu, not right under the mouse), but we
accidentally hit systray popup menu items - because the popup is far too close
to the mouse.

Hiding Quit is really an ugly hack, which doesn't solve the accidental activation
of any other item in the popup. (e.g. kppp's Disconnect, which is located at
the bottom of kppp's systray popupmenu).