List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [patch] Making it harder to accidentially quit a system tray
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-15 21:59:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On February 15, 2005 14:54, David Faure wrote:
> It would be much better if the popup would appear a bit further away from
> the systray icon [as I requested in a BR long ago...]

welcome to the systray. =(

it would be cool to popup this up at the edge of the panel, right? well, we
can't. the popup originates in the XEMBEDed widget. so it doesn't know where
it is. we could guess at it by seeing which edge it is closest to[1], but we
still wouldn't know how far away to put it since we don't know where the edge
of the panel is.

of course, if the systray icons were not XEMBEDed we could do this quite
easily.

maybe people will start to understand why i dislike XEMBED in the panel so
much >:-|

[1] though this will break once i allow for floating panels that aren't
attached to a screen edge. the support code is already there for this, the
panel just don't have a facility to "undock". after 3.4, though .....

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric