List:       kde-usability
Subject:    HIG Fitt's law page errors.
From:       Tim Hutt <tdh29 () cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2005-02-13 13:22:33

http://developer.kde.org/documentation/design/ui/fittslaw.html

> KDE gets a big thumbs-up for providing Macintosh-style menus.

Whether or not it is true that they are better, KDE doesn't provide Mac-style
menus by default and few users are going to be that bothered to change them.

> The MSWindows taskbar is not active all the way to the edge of the screen,
> so that you must stop your mouse a few pixels away from the edge in order to
> hit a button.

This just isn't true. If you click on the edge of the screen on the taskbar,
Windows will move the cursor one pixel up/in so that it does hit the button.

>However, the other panel buttons (such as the main KDE menu under the big
>"K") have a one-pixel border.

Not true. At least as of KDE 3.3.0

> Circular popup menus are faster than linear popup menus
> These aren't supported by KDE as far as I know, but I would like them to be.
> Also, if the options are few (say 4), users will quickly learn gestures to
> activate the menu e.g. up then right = print, left then up = new.

Really? Most KDE popup menus have at least 6 items. How are you going to
arrange the text on this pie so that people can read it?