List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: System Preferences
From:       Evan Roberts <evanroberts () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-02-04 11:59:52

The drill down approach is in my opinion worse usability than showing
all options up front, because it keeps the user guessing and is harder
to visually memorise, it also means clicking an extra time to get to
where you want - it makes the tree more complicated.

A grid of 24 icons which are sorted into a number of horizontal
catagories IS NOT the same as a long list of 24 options. I agrued this
back in september when I proposed a design on this list which is
pretty much exactly the same what Benjamin has implemented. By making
full use of the two dimensions of a screen, a grid of icons is easy to
visually remember, yet also naviagatable, as one can read the
catagories first (the y axis) then look through the icons (the x
axis).

I say Benjamin should pretty much keep it as it is design wise. I
really like the way the search tool works as well, can't say I had
thought of that! Really good work.

Evan Roberts