List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The new tooltips
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-01-30 23:03:05

Alan Prescott wrote:
> On Friday 14 Jan 2005 19:11, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>But I still think it is misguided. I mean, it is nowhere near the same
>>function. The icon zooming was simple eye candy. These tooltips take up
>>very large amounts of space, and are distracting to the task you are trying
>>to perform.
>
> </snip>
>
> I don't believe icon zooming is/was not just simple eye candy.
>
> In my case I have a child panel on the left of the screen set to icon size
> small holding a set of less heavily used but common apps such as the
> calculator, kate, gimp etc. that I want close at hand.
>
> I use a small icon size on the child panel so as not to lose too much screen
> but not all icons are that distinctive and I find the icon zooming useful 1)
> to distinguish between the icons more easily and 2) to make it obvious that
> one _is_ selected before clicking.
>
> If the icon zooming is being dropped has anyone talked to the people in
> kde-accessability - I would have thought this was a feature highly useful for
> the visually impaired.

I agree with you.  I am slightly visually impaired.  Nearsighted to the
point of being legally blind *without* may glasses.  With my bifocals, a
panel set to small, and a 15 inch screen, I also find "Icon Zooming"
quite helpful.

I don't think that we should remove the current "Icon Zooming".  Aside
from code bloat, is there any reason that we couldn't offer a choice the
new large tooltips vs. the old style ones and simply leave Icon Zooming
as it was.

That said, I think that I could live with the new feature if the delay
was adjustable and the animation could be turned off.

--
JRT