List:       kde-usability
Subject:    To all: How to connect tooltips to QStatusBar
From:       John Tapsell <john () geola ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-01-29 19:30:55

Hey all,
  I spent the last few days trying to do this, including fix a bug in kdelibs,
so I thought I'd share my results.  I have added comments for this to
kdelibs.

  Menu items are KActions as you all know.  KActions can have tooltips set:
 (new KAction(.....))->setToolTip(i18n("hello"));

  If you set tooltips for your actions, you can then get those tooltips to
show in the statusbar by doing like so, in your KMainWindow class.

  actionCollection()->setHighlightingEnabled(true);
  connect(actionCollection(), SIGNAL( actionStatusText( const QString & ) ),
                 statusBar(), SLOT( message( const QString & ) ) );
  connect(actionCollection(), SIGNAL( clearStatusText() ),
                 statusBar(), SLOT( clear() ) );

JohnFlux