List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The new tooltips
From:       ra1n <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2005-01-18 11:25:14

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 17 January 2005 05:36, Jason Keirstead wrote:
>
>>>btw, you may note some cool uses of the mouse overs in CVS right now that
>>>show that "once you know what the button is you don't need the mouse
>>>overs" is not true. in particular, i'm thinking of the mouse over of the
>>>new trash can button  which shows how many items are in your trash right
>>>now. that's something that changes, and so even if you know it's the
>>>trash button the mouse over is useful.
>>
>>None of this applies to the KMenu example.
>

> obviously. i was talking about the trash button. i addressed the k menu
> previously.
>

>>Regardless.. there are lots of other tooltips in KDE that provide just as
>

> for the last time: these are not tooltips.
>

>> Or are we going to remove the delay for all tooltips now?
>

> of course not.
>

>>I can imagine how pleasent that will be when using Konqueror...
>

> now you're just being rediculous, which is surely a signal that all useful
> conversation has been had.
>

>>I just don't understand why there is no delay. All other tooltips have a
>>delay, why should the kicker be no different?
>

> i don't think i'll be able to help you understand, either. i've presented my
> reasoning, you evidently disagree. i've outlined what sort of data would make
> me change my mind.

Probably it's only a little bit of confusion, it's me that when started
this thread proposed to substitute actual tooltip with your "magic
tooltips", this made him so upset, this is true, but it's not so simple
to take those tips and paste them on all kde without working on them,
yes I believe that those have a better appearance, but it isn't a good
reason to throw them in the field without thinking, they must be tested
first, also the delay issue, probably in other parts of kde they need a
bit more of delay, but this could be changed easily, it's a work of
trial and error, so let's give the users a new feature in beta and see
if they like it, or if they feel that it's good but needs some changes,
it's a part of development process, if they don't like it, let's keep
and option to turn it off and remove it from the next release

Cheers

Luca