List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [RFC] new kfind UI
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2005-01-10 0:29:53

Dnia poniedziałek, 10 stycznia 2005 00:17, Alexander Neundorf napisał:
> As I mentioned, it's just a rough draft.
> At the top there is an input to specify the file name pattern. I think
> this is required in most cases.
> So, the first combobox contains the items "Contains", "matches wildcard"
> and "matches regexp", meaning should be obvious.
>
> Also required in every case is specifying a base directory to start
> searching from, this is the next input line.
>
> Then it gets more interesting. If more search specifications are
> required, a press on "Add options" opens a new dialog:
>
> http://www.neundorf.net/kfind-new-add-option.png
>
> In the upper frame you select the kind of option you want to add to the
> search specification, and in the lower frame a corresponding widgets
> appears. In the screenshot there is the input widget for specifying
> additional search paths or paths to be excluded from the search. The
> combo box contains "Exclude directory" and "Include directory". kfind
> will be able to search in more than one dir and also to exclude dirs
> from the search.
> Once the input widget is filled with the correct values, press "Add
> option" and the option is added to the search and it appears in the
> listview in "almost human" speech.
>
> The same goes for specifying the size, contents, etc of the search. If
> an option should be removed or modified, select the option and press
> "Remove option"/"Modify option". Ideally this should be a small icon
> part of each line in the listbox (didn't get around to do it yet).
>
> If everything is setup as intended, press the find button (which I
> obviously forgot to insert) and the listview in the lower part of the
> dialog fills with the result.
>
> What do you think ? Completly wrong way or improvement ?
> Better wording for the UI elements would be definitely required.
> Anybody else here who wants to implement it ?

IMO looks good.

1.
I think there is common agreement to use 'folder' and not 'directory'.

2.
I would give 'include subfolders' option in front page.
This is one of the most used options, and in advanced page option for
depth. (like -maxdepth in find)

3.
What do you want to do after each 'Add option' - close window and start
from beginning?
For folders good thing would be something like filters in KMail with
More, Less widgets to allow definition of more than one item of one
type?
In this way you would have to open options dialog 3 times, not 6.

4.
Metainfo and filetype? Metainfo depends on filetype. Should be connected
in some way.

HTH

m.

Vim-list(s) Users Map: (last change 6 Oct)
 http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vimlist
CLEWN - http://clewn.sf.net