List:       kde-usability
Subject:    [RFC] new kfind UI
From:       Alexander Neundorf <neundorf () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-01-09 23:17:29

Hi,

I played around a bit with designer and made a very rough mockup of a modified
kfind UI, it's partly inspired by the Mac OS X search application (can't
remember the name and I don't have a screenshot).

So, here's the new kfind mainwindow:

http://www.neundorf.net/kfind-new-mainwindow.png

As I mentioned, it's just a rough draft.
At the top there is an input to specify the file name pattern. I think this is
required in most cases.
So, the first combobox contains the items "Contains", "matches wildcard" and
"matches regexp", meaning should be obvious.

Also required in every case is specifying a base directory to start searching
from, this is the next input line.

Then it gets more interesting. If more search specifications are required, a
press on "Add options" opens a new dialog:

http://www.neundorf.net/kfind-new-add-option.png

In the upper frame you select the kind of option you want to add to the search
specification, and in the lower frame a corresponding widgets appears. In the
screenshot there is the input widget for specifying additional search paths
or paths to be excluded from the search. The combo box contains "Exclude
directory" and "Include directory". kfind will be able to search in more than
one dir and also to exclude dirs from the search.
Once the input widget is filled with the correct values, press "Add option"
and the option is added to the search and it appears in the listview in
"almost human" speech.

The same goes for specifying the size, contents, etc of the search. If an
option should be removed or modified, select the option and press "Remove
option"/"Modify option". Ideally this should be a small icon part of each
line in the listbox (didn't get around to do it yet).

If everything is setup as intended, press the find button (which I obviously
forgot to insert) and the listview in the lower part of the dialog fills with
the result.

What do you think ? Completly wrong way or improvement ?
Better wording for the UI elements would be definitely required.
Anybody else here who wants to implement it ?

Bye
Alex
--
Work: alexander.neundorf@jenoptik.com - http://www.jenoptik-los.de