List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror menus
From:       Alexander Neundorf <neundorf () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-01-05 20:34:45

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 20:04, kde-usability-request@kde.org wrote:
> Re: Konqueror menus
>  Date: Today 20:05:52
>  From: Florian Graessle <flograessle@uni.de>
>  To: KDE Usability Project <kde-usability@kde.org>
>  Reply to: KDE Usability Project <kde-usability@kde.org>
>
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 18:57:46 +0100
>
> Leo Savernik <l.savernik@aon.at> wrote:
> > [...] whereas Execute shell command works from the currently displayed
> > directory and stores and displays the shell output.
>
> Are you sure it actually _works_? ;)
> Who's using it at all?

/me
(Ok, I might be biased, I implemented it quite some time ago)

> Where's the benefit over e.g. hitting F4, which
> opens a real shell in the current path and in which really all shell
> commands work?

Advantage: it is much faster
with opening terminal in the current directory:
-it takes some time for it to start (i.e. it's not immediately up)
(that's not much of an issue in normal circumstances, it gets much worse if
the box is loaded, memory is low etc.)
-it starts a whole new applciation with a big window
-you are able to do execute more things in konsole, which can distract from
what you where doing in konqy
-to close this window again you have to do something (use the mouse to close
it, or type exit)

with the small dialog
-it is immedatiately there
-it has the current file already inserted in the command line
-it is really easy to close it again
-> faster workflow

> Using "Execute shell command" to execute some shell
> commands I sometimes get
>
> "Your Terminal type is unknown!
> Enter a terminal type: [vt100]"
>
> "TERM environment variable not set."
>
> "WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
> -  (press RETURN)"
>
> While I know why these errors occur I am pretty sure most users won't
> and think the functionality is broken.
>
> So in my opinion the "Execute Shell Command" feature is definitely a
> very advanced one

Yes, I agree here.

> and should be dropped to avoid confusion.

...but not here.
Will kde 3.4 have a way to choose which plugins are loaded by konqy ? It would
be ok for me if it wasn't loaded by default.

After all, konqy needs polishing.
We have this "Run command" (I don't have it here in kde 3.2.x), we have
"execute shell command" and we have the embedded konsole. And none of the
three options works as good as the one in mc :-/
The embedded konsole takes too much space and you have to put fucos on it to
type something.

Maybe we should go for the embedded konsole but with quite some changes. E.g.
hide it by default and have a shortcut to enter a command (which pops up a
dialog or a lineedit or something). Then konqy can "filter" this command,
e.g. check for "cd /somewhere" and go there, or feed it to the embedded
konsole, which should then come to the foreground (maybe using an own tab).

Or even simpler: have a special short uri (like "#manpage") which means that
the url will go to the embedded konsole. E.g. "!chmod 644 *".
Ok, after this it has been executed and focus has gone to the embedded
konsole. How to get it in the background again ?

Bye
Alex
--
Work: alexander.neundorf@jenoptik.com - http://www.jenoptik-los.de