List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: usability regression
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-12-16 22:10:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On December 16, 2004 15:32, Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> On Thursday 16 December 2004 19:19, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> > On December 16, 2004 13:21, Datschge wrote:
> > > I'd suggest to change the ratio of slider position to value from the
> > > current linear increase to an exponential increase.
> >
> > logarithmic is the correct term, no? anyways, math terms aside, this is
> > exactly what i suggested on the bug this morning ... so is it a case of
> > "great minds think alike" or "fool seldom differ"? i'll leave that one up
> > to you, and just say <aol>i agree!</aol> ;)
>
> Well, I considered this as a solution once. Don't you think it is too
> complicated? I myself am a mathmatician, so I was worried users being
> unfamiliar with logarithmic scales.

it should be easy enough to communicate this visually by making the tick marks
grow closer together to reflect of "density" ... now, actually drawing those
tick marks on a qslider may be more fun ;-)

> I'll try to conjure up a patch as soon as I can, then we'll see. I'm in the
> process of turning 30, though, so it might not be before next week :-/

happy birthday!

> And yes, logaritmic is the common name for this, but without a good reason

ah, so it's like most names then ;-)

> --- it might as well be exponential. It depends on your point of view.

/me stands on his head.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric