List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: It is illogical...
From:       ra1n <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2004-12-10 19:50:01

Daniel A. Molina wrote:
> Some time ago I suggested something like that "group copy" , but I was
> not inspired by BeOS but by Firefox download dialog.
>
> The main idea was a little more far fetched, by developing an small
> actions framework that would allow to queue them.  So I expected that I
> would start copying 70 files, and if at any point the application
> requires input from the user it will just move the "offending" item to a
> listbox or something in the same dialog with the available actions (Do
> you want to overwrite File?  or Could not read from Device. Would you
> like to retry? or Cancel) an keep copying (and queuing if necessary).
> This came to me one night I start copying a large amount of files over
> the net, and 2 hrs later I came back to find that the process was
> waiting for me asking to overwrite file 20th of like 1000th!
>
> I think it was Aaron who suggested me to try to hack into KIO to add
> some kind of layer, but I still had not the chance to work on it.  At
> least this show that it is a "natural" o evident idea and eventualy it
> will be implemented :) or discarded :(
Well I hope that it will be implemented, since it's a great idea, you've
gone over my suggestion, since beos multicopy groups only every copy
action, not every file, so yours is in some way better :-D because if
only one file is blocking the copy operation the rest will be copied
anyway....cool
Talking about KIOs I'll share with you another idea that came into my
mind...AppDir support (see MacOSX or Rox-filer, basically an application
is self contained in one directory, and if you double click on the
directory you start the app) I found it useful for some kind of apps
that often are distributed in binary form, in my case for example
firefox, thunderbird, or realplayer, you simply unzip the directory in
one place and then start the app by double clicking on it.
I tought that this could be implemented by using Kios, but I don't
really know if it's possible without touching konqueror code.

Cheers

Luca