List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: It is illogical....
From:       "Tina Trillitzsch" <t.trillitzsch () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-12-10 1:08:23

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 18:20:35 -0600, Daniel A. Molina
<dmolina@amnet.co.cr> wrote:

>  From the point of view of usability, shouldn't just the user try
> to copy and the computer inform him/her there is not enough space
> in the target ?

I don't really think so. It takes the feeling of control away from
the user, and the feeling of control is actually quite an important
usability principle, if I recall correctly.
It also increases the chances of unnecessary "failures". No one
likes to be told that they've failed. Especially if you are
presented with an error message "not enough space" even though you
didn't do anything wrong - after all you couldn't know better and
had to expect there was enough room (as there is no easy way to
check beforehand). These kind of uncalled for error messages are
very intimidating and generally make a lot of people feel like
idiots. And that is certainly not our goal, right :-)?

tina