List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Metacontact::photo() part III, contactlist photo
From:       smitty () absamail ! co ! za
Date:       2004-12-08 6:25:57

> A new screenshot.
> http://img83.exs.cx/img83/8198/k8dscreenshot.png
>
> I also added a little email picture to the email column heh.

I think it looks better with the extra column.<g>

> I'm not sure what you mean by the blue highlight..

That looks like a selected item highlight. I was trying to say "a
background shading" of every second contact. Many programs do this to
enhance readability when presenting information in lists.

It allows the eye to quickly scan the relevant line of information by
enclosing all relevant infomraiton per item in block of alternating
white and e.g. light blue shading.

It's really just an alternative to having lines between each row like a
spreadsheet would.

I've just googled on this and found this image:

http://www.xeletrix.com/img/address_book_software.gif

They have assigned a differnet colour to each contact, I think this
becomes excessive and distracting. And is bad usability, especially the
colour of the text. Be sure to maintain good contrast as some people
have impaired vision. In other words don't do what these guys have done.

> > Maybe it shouldn't have every second contact e.g. Lu on the right.
> It doesn't.  or do you mean it should?
> I thought about this, but I don't think it should because like others
> have said, it would require your eyes to scan left and right and up
> and down all the time, when they prefer to just scan up and down.

Yes I was referring to my suggestion. It was always only a maybe.

The blue shading should do the trick to help define the seperation
between contacts so this shouldn't be necessary.

Liam