List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KWin decoration button position widget
From:       Sandro Giessl <sandro () giessl ! com>
Date:       2004-12-02 10:58:32

Am Thursday, 2. December 2004 02:46 schrieb Aaron Seigo:
> > Trying to improve the situation I wrote a listview based widget
> > (http://sandro.giessl.com/files/kde/kwin_kcm_buttons2.png):
> > - drag&drop _and_ buttons
> > - dropped the preview completely as it's now possible to have live
> > decoration preview updates above.
>
> some feedback:
>
> - the listboxes are far less intuitive. what does it mean "Left
> Buttons", "Right Buttons"? what's the list in the middle" what's up
> with all the arrow buttons?  the "fake preview" is far more obvious
> and intuitive.
>
> - how about making the preview able to handle keyboard focus?
> Ctrl+LeftArray and Ctrl+RightArrow would move the focussed button in
> the fake preview left/right. and this way at most we could get away
> with 4 arrows (left/right, up/down) and they could probably sit in
> between the list of available buttons and the fake preview.
Sounds like a great idea. I think I will give it a try. :)

> - why is the preview now outside of the tabs now?
Ah, I remember you were the one who put it into the tab last time. :)
The reason to move it out was to make the preview visible from all tabs,
not just the "Window Decoration" one. As I said there is now a instant
preview of the button/border size settings.
So what you do to e.g. change the border size is to adjust the slider
until the border in the preview looks good and apply -- not adjust the
slider, change to the tab which contains the preview, switch back,
adjust, apply.
It now consumes a bit more space, but it seems to fit in 800x600 which
AFAIR is enough according to the GUI guidelines.
Of course one doesn't change buttons/borders very often, so it might not
bring so many benefits: I can move the preview back into the tabs if
you prefer that, I could live with that.

> - the Decoration drop down is in a very awkward place. this dialog is
> beginning to remind me of the old background dialog. (that's not a
> good thing =). i'd keep the decoration selection on the Window
> Decoration tab, to be honest.
Can't remember the old background dialog. You mean because it's on the
top and could easily be overlooked?

> - while messing with this dialog, i'd endeavour to get rid of the
> Border Size tab. it has one item on it! ug.
But where to put the slider then? It doesn't have to do with buttons.
Name the second tab something like "Buttons & More"?

> - it would be nice to get rid of the TItlebar Button Positions group
> box. it really messes with the visual layout of that tab.
Well, currently I think it's needed to make the description/drop
bar/listbox visually grouped together. Perhaps we can someday replace
the text label with a whatsthis and remove the grop box and the text
together, though...?

Sandro