List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KWin decoration button position widget
From:       Sandro Giessl <sandro () giessl ! com>
Date:       2004-12-02 11:05:55

Am Thursday, 2. December 2004 00:22 schrieb Charles de Miramon:
> Le Mercredi 1 Décembre 2004 21:29, Sandro Giessl a écrit :
> > As Lubos Lunak pointed out
> > (http://lists.kde.org/?l=kwin&m=109992026227558&w=2) it might not
> > be the best solution, though (90 degrees rotated, loss of obvious
> > drag&drop functionality). What do you think about it? Better ideas
> > anyone?
>
> I agree with Lubos. The old solution is easier to understand. The
> list view creates an extra abstraction level which makes it harder to
> understand. Is it not possible to keep the old drag and drop widget
> but adapt the look of the mockup Window Titlebar to the current style
> (here Plastik) ?
It's not possible to adapt the preview to the _current_ decoration
style. This would require a pretty complex addition to KWin's
decoration API which doesn't seem feasible to me.
Only way I see is as Aaron said, to simply adapt (= hardcode) it to
KDE's default style.

> I'm wondering aloud. The preview pane is today sandwiched between the
> combobowx where you choose the style and the option multitab panel.
> Would it be better to put the preview pane at the top and the combo
> box below like in the Colors KCM ? Or make the preview windows width
> smaller and put the preview pane at the right of the combo box.
Putting it on the right sounds interesting to me, this would result in a
similar dialog like the desktop background dialog. And as of now, the
dialog size seems to be more "limited" by the height than by the
width... I will think about it. ;)

> The preview pane appearance should be standardized between the Color
> KCM the KSplash KCM and the Window Decoration KCM and the Icons KCM.
Yes, perhaps...