List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Strange selection highlighting system in Konqueror
From:       James Ots <kde () jamesots ! com>
Date:       2004-11-24 17:43:35

I just did a test with a few of my housemates. I opened a konqueror window on
a folder containing two files, ben.jpg and shannon.jpg. The cursor was on
ben, while shannon was selected. I then asked which file would open if I
pressed enter. After they'd seen which file opened, I then asked them which
would open if I hit delete.

It wasn't a very scientific test - only three people. But two of them
initially said that shannon would open, and after seeing ben open, decided
that ben would be deleted. The other said that ben would open, and after
seeing that it did, assumed ben would also be deleted.

Now, it might be (and probably is) a bad thing to open a whole folder of files
when one accidentally presses enter, but it's also a bad thing to delete or
open the wrong (according to the user) file. My housemates couldn't see why
enter is a special key and delete is not. (Neither can I for that matter).

Could we maybe pop up a warning if enter is pressed when multiple items are
selected?

--
Cheers
James Ots