List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Strange selection highlighting system in Konqueror
From:       Datschge <datschge () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-11-24 17:26:19

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 14:11, ´ácek Kry¨tof wrote:
> IMO the simplest and unambigous solution is:

Simplest and callow solution I'd rather call it.

> 1. ALL operations are carried out on SELECTED items - open, delete,
> copy, .. etc.  User selects the item in desire to operate on it.
> Now OPEN operates on cursor, DELETE operates on SELECTION.

Problem: You could end up accidentally opening a whole folder of files
at the same time that way. Enter is not part of 'all operations'
because it's a special button in computer usage. If not used for line
break it's always used for 'confirm/execute default action'.

> 2. If there are no SELECTED items, no operation can be done
> (regardless where the cursor is).

Problem: Inconsistent with general cursor usage.

> 3. Moving the cursor changes the selection to the cursor. If there
> is a SELECTION, the cursor is always part of the selection (as it is
> now in Konqueror).

Problem: This is not and cannot be the case, Ctrl, Space and Insert
all allow for disconnected selections. The cursor always being part
of the selection makes it completely unclear to the user at what
point a file is actually selected or just selected due to the cursor
being there atm, turning selecting/unselecting single files into a
guessing contest. Showing the current state clearly is an important
part of good usability.

> 4. Pressing Enter on multiple SELECTED items opens all selected
> items. This is now impossible in Konqueror.

Problem: You could end up accidentally opening a whole folder of files
at the same time that way. And no, this is not impossible in
Konqueror, just make a selection and choose your preferred action
from them right click menu.

> To put it simply: this is the behaviour if Windows Explorer and it
> is pretty consistent through all versions.

Yes, consistent across Windows versions it is indeed. But it's not
consistent with itself and regularly leading to people rebooting
computers when accidentally pressing Enter while having a huge
selections of files leading to an unresponsive computer due to quick
exhaustion of cpu and memory.

Cheers, Datschge