List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Strange selection highlighting system in Konqueror
From:       Datschge <datschge () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-11-24 17:04:18

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 13:56, James Ots wrote:
> I just did an experiment in kwrite, and when I've selected some
> text and then press Enter, the selected text is replaced with a
> line break.

You are right, this is apparently an inconsistency in all KDE/Qt apps
I just tested. The consistent approach would probably be hiding the
cursor in that case since moving the cursor also removes the
selection, so they are treated mutually exclusive and can't exist
both at the same time (that is until multiple selections within the
same text are possible), but are still displayed as such.

> I'd like to see konqueror execute the selected items when the enter
> key is pressed, to make things consistent and predictable.

This remind me of the regularly appearing joy of Windows users after
accidentally pressing Enter when having a large bunch of files
selected. No, I don't think this would be good usability.

Cheers, Datschge