List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: list of usability-related aKademy discussion
From:       Enrico Ros <eros.kde () email ! it>
Date:       2004-08-01 2:23:19

On Monday 26 July 2004 08:09, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all...
>
> i'm starting to organize my aKademy schedule. the purpose of this email it
> three-fold:
>
> 	1. to get an idea who else will be there to discuss these things with
> 	2. to let everyone here know what i plan to work on

Here are my 2 cents on a topic that interests me:

> 4. kdesktop
> 	a) icon layout and handling. needs a rewrite, and Qt4 forces that anyways

Great, there are so many levels of inheritance.. some functions are called
multiple times, it's fullt repainted when you touch an item.. qt4 are
welcome!

> 	b) something like karamba ought to be IN kdesktop if there at all

Here comes a cool thing.
Karamba integration will be great, but (this might sound inpopular) we have to
use fast c++ rendering code with asm optimized KImageEffect composting to get
a decent performance so no python, but a good and fast kde plugin api.

(AFAIK karamba does come composting with the desktop pixmap on its own designs
and places resulting pixmaps in windows kept below others.) The kdesktop I'd
like to work on is composed by a single widget where composting takes place.

The user will edit the desktop appearance (in small preview win? in
full-screen mode?) by selecting a plugin and drawing a rectangle (or 'layer')
on the container.
There will be 1 plugin for the iconview (so the area of icons can be limited
to the rectangle).
Another plugin is the simple background loader (like the background we have
now, but with that architecture an user will place a photo he likes in a
rectangle located somewhere over another big background).
Another can be an OpenGL analyzer to be connected to amarok/juk/konqueror
sidebar player.
Another rectangle (ops, plugin) can be.. you name it (well, I can add notes,
calendars, a dashboard shared with everyone in the local lan, a space for
integrating kdetv videos)
Of course there will be a loader for karamba themes that will create a fake
'plugin' for every installed karamba theme.
Maybe the kicker too will be a plugin for desktop (well, the user will believe
that, in fact there will be a DCOP wrapper that moves/shows kicker).

Mix that with a few good layouts preset and the simple one for default
(maximized background, bottom kicker, iconview in the background minus the
kicker area).

We should code a good interface for plugins and a smart composter/renderer
that caches static contents and updates dynamic areas only when needed. Then
we have to provide multiple backends for rendering sucha s a software
renderer (a composter that uses KImageEffect) a X11 Composite/Damage renderer
(hopefully accelerated).

I hope you'll take that proposal into account.
Note: I know that will require lot of work but we can get it working.. (is not
impossible, we can do it).

Bye,
--
Enrico

 Sponsor:
 I prezzi salgono? Con LINEAR assicurazioni puoi fare un preventivo online e bloccare \
il prezzo ottenuto fino alla scadenza della tua polizza!  Clicca qui: \
http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2714&d=1-8 \