List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: list of usability-related aKademy discussion
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2004-08-01 0:09:10

On Monday 26 July 2004 16:25, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> On Monday 26 July 2004 9:37 am, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Monday 26 July 2004 05:13, Benjamin Meyer wrote:

<snip>

> Well when it comes time to code and cvs opens up again I am all for helping
> out especially in the KConfigXT conversion as I know that intimately along
> with general work.

Yeah -- converting modules to KConfigXT is something which should be done no
matter what, and is also in my plans.
I and Albert Astals fixed the KAboutData memory leak in all modules in CVS and
then it struck how incredible _much_ work it will take converting them to
KConfigXT -- it will take a lot of man power. But as we know it's badly
needed -- it would fix tons of bugs, and easily cut the LOC count in half.

Related to KConfigXT, there's a kcfg file for kdeglobals in kdelibs/kutils
(far from complete) which needs to be compiled into a library for KDE 4.
Benjamin, do you have any ideas how that should practically be done?

Depending on what the Designer in QT4 gives us, it can also be possible to
design complete modules via Designer.

When those two technical issues are sorted out we can arrange a "Controlling
KControl" weekend on IRC -- the majority of work can probably be done without
C++ knowledge, and a nice way to infiltrate KDE development. 2-3 devs can
then sew the kcfg and designer files together with the (in some cases) custom
code.

			Frans