List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KAdmin
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-08-01 6:29:29

>From: "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo@kde.org>
>Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:07:43 -0600
>
>On Saturday 31 July 2004 05:02, Frans Englich wrote:
> > In short, having this diversity in KControl restrains everyone, and by
> > splitting the content in two and ensuring these two do One Thing Well,
> > everyone will be happier. Especially KControl needs it as a step towards
> > avoiding feature bloat.
>
>i agree completely.
>
>and in this case i would strongly support a multiwindow approach:
>
>	o due to the traget audience being more sophisticated and able to handle
>the
>complexity
>
>	o typical use cases abound where multiple panels are needed
>simultaneously.
>(i happen to admin several dozen servers in my day-to-day life, so am
>rather
>familiar with this side of life unfortunately)
>
>	o it gives OS vendors a more appropriate place to integrate their
>system-specific tools. (which was an argument again a SW kcontrol; doing it
>this way negates that issue completely)
>
>	o it releaves KControl of much burdon while giving the kdeadmin package a
>place to actually shine from =)
>
>i know i've repeated some of the things you said in your email, but i think
>they deserve repeating ;-)

I would like to argue against a straight-MW approach and propose a mixed
approach. Basically, have it be single-window when just used straight-out.
However, allow opening a module in a separate window when right-clicking for
a context menu. Possibly, allow middle-click for a separate window.

- As you said, the target audience is capable of dealing with complexity.
Why force them to use MW when SW is commonly easier to use?

- When multiple panels are needed simultaneously, it will be easy to reach
them.

- The interface can be made the same as that for KControl, if done properly,
making the entire system easier more consistent.

- When a regular user does need to use something in KAdmin, they will have a
more familiar interface (for example, adding a user or changing settings in
the login manager).

The major downside there is that it loses the ability for third-party tools
to as easily tacked on, but that doesn't have to mean adding them is hard. I
would prefer to push for making serious attempts to make the KAdmin Modules
(KAMs?) very easy to attach and leaving them with a good amount of power.

I agree that allowing MW is very important for KAdmin, and would prefer MW
to straight SW, there. However, I prefer a mixed approach to either alone.