List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: Many balls in the air
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-07-26 4:13:30

>From: Frans Englich <frans.englich@telia.com>
>Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 03:33:26 +0000
>
>On Monday 26 July 2004 02:51, Frans Englich wrote:
>
>Ok, this is a mess. We have a handful of projects floating around in
>isolation
>-- if we don't clear misunderstandings and coordinate it will make a havoc.
>Here's some key issues:
>
>* There are large changes in HEAD: kcminit and kcmshell have been decoupled
>from kdebase/kcontrol. kcminit is now in kdebase/, a new version of
>kcmshell
>is in new_kcm_code:kdelibs/kcmshell -- kdebase/kcontrol is a independent
>app.
>the kutils library contains a lot of new stuff, including a new class --
>all
>of it is crucial in writing KControls and designing categories/layout. I
>will
>start writing a document outlining what is currently going on and why with
>the new_kcm_code branch and the refactoring in HEAD, and follow up this
>thread with it.
>
>* We have a handful of various docs aiming at becoming a "specification"
>for
>KControl's layout in KDE 4.

I am aware that several exist, but cannot regularly find such things. Would
you be able to post a series of links to all such documents so that we can
make an attempt to sort out and merge together their ideas for one master
document to bind them all?

>* I am quite convinced such a kcontrol-document would be best suited for
>the
>"KDE Usability Articles" project, which in itself have a large impact on
>KDE's usability and currently have my highest priority. The KUA project is
>just in its startup phase, and if the discussion of such a
>kcontrol-document
>started before the KUA have initialized, it would create a lot extra work.
>estimate the KUA project have advanced far enough in 1-2 weeks for a
>discussion of this kcontrol-document to take place. Preferably, for the
>sake
>of the KUA project, even longer time should pass(we would most likely get a
>better kcontrol result too).
>/I/ would prefer to postpone any kcontrol discussion until then, to avoid
>conflicts. Since such a discussion is for KDE 4, it should perhaps be
>possible? This is my opinion -- what do others think(Benjamin)?

I don't think there is any rush to have the discussion, but since so many
people are eager to change KControl, it would perhaps be good to help
everyone coordinate. If people are going to be working on designing and
programming KControl anyway, having some discussion would be good to avoid
them wasting their time.

>* The KUA project is very vulnerable for "inappropriate" publicity, and I
>will
>hence ask Derek to go radio silent about it on the cvs-digest. It could
>also
>be of use to roughly sort out everything concerning kcontrol before Derek
>start mentioning it -- it could otherwise too lead to much unnecessary
>noise.
>Should I also ask Derek to be quiet on kcontrol-related commits?(until we
>have sorted all mess out) In that case, no blogging neither, of course.

I don't know that it's necessary to keep it all quiet about the work on
KControl, so long as it is kept clear that this is still all very much in
preliminary and experimental stages.