List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Many balls in the air
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2004-07-26 3:33:26

On Monday 26 July 2004 02:51, Frans Englich wrote:

Ok, this is a mess. We have a handful of projects floating around in isolation
-- if we don't clear misunderstandings and coordinate it will make a havoc.
Here's some key issues:

* There are large changes in HEAD: kcminit and kcmshell have been decoupled
from kdebase/kcontrol. kcminit is now in kdebase/, a new version of kcmshell
is in new_kcm_code:kdelibs/kcmshell -- kdebase/kcontrol is a independent app.
the kutils library contains a lot of new stuff, including a new class -- all
of it is crucial in writing KControls and designing categories/layout. I will
start writing a document outlining what is currently going on and why with
the new_kcm_code branch and the refactoring in HEAD, and follow up this
thread with it.

* We have a handful of various docs aiming at becoming a "specification" for
KControl's layout in KDE 4.

* I am quite convinced such a kcontrol-document would be best suited for the
"KDE Usability Articles" project, which in itself have a large impact on
KDE's usability and currently have my highest priority. The KUA project is
just in its startup phase, and if the discussion of such a kcontrol-document
started before the KUA have initialized, it would create a lot extra work. I
estimate the KUA project have advanced far enough in 1-2 weeks for a
discussion of this kcontrol-document to take place. Preferably, for the sake
of the KUA project, even longer time should pass(we would most likely get a
better kcontrol result too).
/I/ would prefer to postpone any kcontrol discussion until then, to avoid
conflicts. Since such a discussion is for KDE 4, it should perhaps be
possible? This is my opinion -- what do others think(Benjamin)?

* The KUA project is very vulnerable for "inappropriate" publicity, and I will
hence ask Derek to go radio silent about it on the cvs-digest. It could also
be of use to roughly sort out everything concerning kcontrol before Derek
start mentioning it -- it could otherwise too lead to much unnecessary noise.
Should I also ask Derek to be quiet on kcontrol-related commits?(until we
have sorted all mess out) In that case, no blogging neither, of course.

Now:
* Tell me what to do
* Tell me if I talk crap, are being selfish, or need to explain something

			Frans