List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: General KDE Usability
From:       joaobr <joao () wipmail ! com ! br>
Date:       2004-07-14 11:24:31

On Tuesday 13 July 2004 14:02, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Daniel Engelschalt wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be an option to start konqui (the first time) with
> > as few as possible icons/toolbars and point the user to a
> > profile which adds all the "geek's" stuff?
>
> Actually, this is power user stuff rather than "geek" stuff.  It
> would probably be reasonable to have less stuff as the default
> since power users are able to configure the tool bars and newbies
> are afraid to do it.  But, this doesn't apply to the: "Up" button.

I believe that this is almost the best orientation so far.

Reading all posts in this threads the file and browser toolbar should
be different.

Then the browser general toolbar should have
- home (user defined homepage)
	- (perhaps holding the buttom
		it goes up to the actual website homepage?)
- back
- forward
- refresh

And the Filemanager should have
- home (~ or user defined)
- up
- back
- forward
- delete

and similar with other actions groups / toolbars

Even if it has a certain function the cut/copy/past icons are not so
very much used in a browser but in a filemanager. So may be it make
sense to have

Browser
- search/find
- print

Filemanager
- cut
- copy
- paste
- search/find
- print

Aditional it could help to "classify" userprofiles which could be
chosed on the initial wizzard or later in the setup as
- basic or minimal toolbar options
- most common toolbar set
- extended toolbar set
- custom (where the user is placed into the add/remove icon menu)

I do not agree with classifications like powerusers, newbies or
anything what could classify the user and his abilities. What should
be classifies is KDE's capabilities. Also I believe that it has
nothing to do if some is a poweruser or a newby, both could use the
same iconset independent of their skills. Which icons or functions
are used by each user is based on his habits.

Joćo