List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: idea calculator
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-07-14 12:44:39

On Wednesday 14 July 2004 11.25, Karasek, Tom wrote:
> hi,
>
> this morning i was able to do some "social experiments", e.g. i watched a
> user trying to use the windows calculator (but this problem is not limited
> to the windows calculator). however, after some seconds, she got frustrated
> and started to look for her 15 years old texas instruments.
>
> funny - there is this pentium 4 with 2,4 ghz, plenty of ram but you still
> have to use the good old texas instruments for "23,4 x 77,3" ?
>
> so now my idea:
>
> there should be a hotkey which can be used in any kde-application,
> preferably "=". hitting the "="-key should open a smal box with a textarea,
> directly under your cursor (no window, just the textarea!) within your
> application. hitting enter will insert the result into your
> document/mail-client/messenger/whatsoever.

You can do some simple calculations directly in the mini-cli

Press alt+f2, type in 99*3, hit enter, and it will show the result.  Addition,
Subtraction and Division also work.

It doesn't seem to want to do anything for me involving decimal points though
- if anyone can confirm, it's probably worth a bug report, because it's a
really cute little (hidden) feature.

> if you need more complex operations, you still can fire up kcalc. does this
> idea sound useful?

Sure does :)

Regards,
--