List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Konq. Location->Quit Menu Misnomer
From:       Allan Fields <kde () afields ! ca>
Date:       2004-07-05 16:10:30

Just a small usability note..

Perhaps Location->Quit menu entry in Konq. would be better
as Location->"Close Window" or similar.

My Reasoning:

	I'm not "Quit"ing Konqueror per se, because I still have
many windows open after I do Location->Quit and it only works on
the foremost window.  The way KDE is structured Quit may not make
sense in Konq. and I'm not sure Exit would be any better.  Both
lead the user to believe that all of Konqueror may be terminated
and create a perceived unsureness about scope of operation/effect.

Both Konqueror and Mozilla differ on their treatment of
Location/File->Quit and switching between the two browsers you tend
to notice it more..

In Mozilla:

	File->Quit actually quits (terminates or kills the process
rather than "delete" to borrow twm X-window terminology) and closes
all open Windows (all instances).  This might be more of a Mozilla
problem, but I find the menu entry in Konq. misleading none-the-less.
Of course I know what it does, it closes the window, but then why
call it "Quit"?

An argument against changing the menu is that Quit and Ctrl-Q
correspond, are well known/expected and this is the traditional way
of structuring such menus.  Ctrl-w it is important to note, currently
closes tabs.  This makes sense in terms of a parent frame -> child
window relationship if thought of in the MDI paradigm.  Is this a QT
standard or enforced for compliance w/ any UI standards?

Thanks,
--
 Allan Fields