List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: Konq. Location->Quit Menu Misnomer
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-07-06 1:08:51

>From: Allan Fields <kde@afields.ca>
>Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 12:10:30 -0400
>
>Just a small usability note..
>
>Perhaps Location->Quit menu entry in Konq. would be better
>as Location->"Close Window" or similar.
>

>My Reasoning:
>
>	I'm not "Quit"ing Konqueror per se, because I still have
>many windows open after I do Location->Quit and it only works on
>the foremost window.  The way KDE is structured Quit may not make
>sense in Konq. and I'm not sure Exit would be any better.  Both
>lead the user to believe that all of Konqueror may be terminated
>and create a perceived unsureness about scope of operation/effect.
>
>Both Konqueror and Mozilla differ on their treatment of
>Location/File->Quit and switching between the two browsers you tend
>to notice it more..
>
>In Mozilla:
>
>	File->Quit actually quits (terminates or kills the process
>rather than "delete" to borrow twm X-window terminology) and closes
>all open Windows (all instances).  This might be more of a Mozilla
>problem, but I find the menu entry in Konq. misleading none-the-less.
>Of course I know what it does, it closes the window, but then why
>call it "Quit"?

I would agree with changing it to Close Window, rather than Quit. The main
reason is that most all other programs currently use Quit to close all
instances.

It can be reasonably expected that Mozilla/Firefox will be run into by users
of KDE and OpenOffice will be used as well, and both of them seem to support
that behavior. Anyone who does image editing or other art will run into
similar behavior in The GIMP and Inkscape/SodiPodi.

Likewise, this behavior will be found in most any commercial applications
ported over to Linux and KDE, since the Macintosh, Adobe, and Macromedia
application suites all follow the standard of having Quit completely close
the program out, and the Microsoft tools have Exit close all instances.

Internet Explorer solves the problem by just not having the option; you can
only use Close and it only closes one window.

Since both forms of behavior are logical and reasonable, I see no reason to
break from the trend.

>An argument against changing the menu is that Quit and Ctrl-Q
>correspond, are well known/expected and this is the traditional way
>of structuring such menus.  Ctrl-w it is important to note, currently
>closes tabs.  This makes sense in terms of a parent frame -> child
>window relationship if thought of in the MDI paradigm.  Is this a QT
>standard or enforced for compliance w/ any UI standards?

The ctrl-w closing a tab is standard through all browsers with tabbed
browsing, so it's a defacto standard.