List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Bookmark Partway Through Page?
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-06-16 5:45:56

>From: Sébastien Laoût <sebastien.laout@tuxfamily.org>
>Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 01:16:28 +0200
>
> > > After, sometimes (twice or a little more a year) I need a BASH script
> > > :
> > > it's new tabs to be opened (web doc, man doc, the test folder).
> > > It would potencially add a third use of sessions for me (because I
>would
> > > open the BASH session very few per year).
> >
> > Cut other examples. Profiles are doing this (at least partially).
>
>Profile for that ?
>Hum...
>Good point !
>But you cannot save tabs (you just can save the current tab config),
>isn't it ?
>So, profiles can be a start point for session managment, or the both
>merged ?
>But profiles are havy to use and more fitted for definitive settings.

I think that profiles are very unintuitive as a way to manage what sessions
actually are. A profile is meant to be an entirely different way of using
the browser (and they would be that, if the profiles had kept advancing, but
they didn't). Sessions are just a way of noting down where you are. It's
like the difference between a desk and a bookmark. One defines how you read
a book and can be used to keep everything organized, the other is just a
nifty tool.

>Idealy, we just need to click one button to save a session (no dialog,
>or perhapse just to name it) and easily delete it in one click
>(+confirm).
>See the session managment of TabbedBrowsing extension of Mozilla : it
>add a dropdown button to the toolbar :
>* Save current session
>* Rename > [a list of all sessions]
>* Delete > [a list of all sessions]
>* [list of all sessions to load one]
>* +the last session
>* +the last session if konqueror was crashing
>                 (or automatically reloaded ?)

What I would like to see is:

* Save Session menu entry in Location
* Load Session submenu in Location with listing of sessions
* Configure Sessions menu entry in Location

* Reload previous session after crash configuration option
* Always reload previous session configuration option

That's about like what you said, just saying some should be in configuration
options and some should be displayed a bit differently. However, I would
like the save session option to actually display several options in a
dialog.

* Session name (default to YY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss)
* Save all Konqueror windows (default to off, which saves only the current
window)
* Save window positions (defaults to off)
* Save to a file (allows a session to be a file that is organized by the
user; default to off)
* Save exact state for offline usage (caches all pages; default to off)
* Close Konqueror after saving session state (defaults to off)
  * Re-open this session when Konqueror starts up again (not sure if this
should exist)

With those it becomes a very powerful tool. However, the user can still just
type a name and hit enter to get the reasonable defaults.