List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-06-11 5:39:16

>From: Manuel Amador <rudd-o@amautacorp.com>
>Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:25:12 -0500
>
>El mié, 09-06-2004 a las 16:34, Dik Takken escribió:
> >
> > Indexing and caching can only be done on a per-plugin basis, because
> > Google won't send you notifications if anything changed for example. So,
> > for now, caching and indexing is an implementation 'detail' of file
> > searching plugins.
>
>Exactly.  Perhaps at some point the index system can be extended to
>index visited documents on the network or the Internet (hey, I would
>like to find an article I was reading on "the culture of poverty" and I
>cannot find it).  But let's keep it simple initially.

Actually, I think it should maintain indexes of networked systems from the
get-go. However, and I cannot seem to repeat this enough, that is only a
part of the file search plugin. As the other plugins DO NOTE FIND FILES
indexing files for them HAS NO VALUE.

Indexing networked systems is essential. I mentioned this already: It would
be very good to keep indexes of removable media and network shares for a
decent period of time, and to allow them to be noted as things that need to
be saved.

This would be an incredible feature for people that wish to be able to
search backed-up archives without digging and people who have laptops and
home systems and want to be able to link them up easily. The archives are
noted by the archiving system as being records to be kept, and then that is
very snappy. Likewise, a person can just come home, hook up their laptop to
the network, and swiftly search their storage systems.

It is essential to the interface that such options be available.

> > In my opinion, file indexing and caching does not really belong in a
> > Desktop Environment. We should either use existing DE independent
>systems,
> > or develop one of our own that can be used by KDE search plugins.
>
>That is also true.  Any indexing/query/search system has to be,
>definitely, a DE-independent endeavor, so it be adopted by as many
>projects as possible, and not starve resources used in developing the
>DE.
>
> >  I'm
> > afraid this is a bit out of the scope of the KDE project. We develop a
> > Desktop Environment, not a data mining solution.
>
>That's also 100% true.  But a FLOSS data mining solution, when
>pervasively integrated in KDE, would benefit KDE users enormously.

Again, we are trying to discuss the interface, not the implementation.
That's just not the purpose of this thread.