List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       Manuel Amador <rudd-o () amautacorp ! com>
Date:       2004-06-10 20:25:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

El mié, 09-06-2004 a las 16:34, Dik Takken escribió:
> > I have done some calculations with some code, and, assuming you have a
> > file indexing daemon which uses a notification system and extracts
> > metadata (and a small portion of data, say, for a full text indexing
> > database), you'd be looking at one or two seconds of indexing per file,
> > at a 20 niceness level.
>
> > That ain't slow.  Coupled with a register/notification
> > (observer/observable pattern for queries) system for a hypothetical
> > search daemon, you could add a word "Casaperrogato" to one of your
> > OpenOffice documents, and see it appear in a search window in approx. 10
> > seconds.
> >
> > That's much more immediate than Windows search, and it is possible.
>
> Indexing and caching can only be done on a per-plugin basis, because
> Google won't send you notifications if anything changed for example. So,
> for now, caching and indexing is an implementation 'detail' of file
> searching plugins.

Exactly.  Perhaps at some point the index system can be extended to
index visited documents on the network or the Internet (hey, I would
like to find an article I was reading on "the culture of poverty" and I
cannot find it).  But let's keep it simple initially.

> In my opinion, file indexing and caching does not really belong in a
> Desktop Environment. We should either use existing DE independent systems,
> or develop one of our own that can be used by KDE search plugins.

That is also true.  Any indexing/query/search system has to be,
definitely, a DE-independent endeavor, so it be adopted by as many
projects as possible, and not starve resources used in developing the
DE.

>  I'm
> afraid this is a bit out of the scope of the KDE project. We develop a
> Desktop Environment, not a data mining solution.

That's also 100% true.  But a FLOSS data mining solution, when
pervasively integrated in KDE, would benefit KDE users enormously.

> Cheers!
>
> Dik
	Manuel Amador
	Jefe de I+D                         +593 (9) 847-7372
	Amauta                     http://www.amautacorp.com/
	GNU Privacy Guard key ID: 0xC1033CAD at keyserver.net