List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken () phys ! uu ! nl>
Date:       2004-06-08 8:11:59

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:

> The purpose of the plugins is to allow searching for multiple things. If you
> want to reduce it to a system for indexing metadata and file information,
> you're just trying to reduce the entire thing down to the file plugin. Why
> would all the other plugins get removed? That just makes no sense.

Agree.

Each plugin should decide for itself if it should cache and extract
(meta)data, you can't decide this globally for the whole search system.
Indexing may be useful for one plugin but useless to another. Metadata
extracting will probably be meaningless for most plugins.

Yes, the file search plugin may benefit from indexing, and we may
develop a extra-powerful file search plugin that can extract metadata
as well. Users who have the computer power to use that plugin are free to
do so, people who don't use the basic plugin. But these are
all implementation details. For now, we should discuss the big picture
only.

Cheers,

Dik