List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-06-07 20:24:03

>From: Manuel Amador <rudd-o@amautacorp.com>
>Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 12:14:19 -0500
>
>El jue, 03-06-2004 a las 16:05, Jamethiel Knorth escribió:
>
> > The search requirements are totally different than what you are
>thinking!
> > The purpose of the plugins is to allow searches for things OTHER THAN
>FILES.
> > There would be one tool to search for files. There is NO reason that
>this
> > same tool would search the internet or try to find movie listings or
> > locations on a map. The results would be completely incompatible.
>
>It all just started as a nice thing to put in the open file and save
>file dialog boxes plus enhancements to the file search tool.  I don't
>know what you think we've been talking about.  Thus, my suggestions were
>in line with what was being discussed.

Are you talking about where the entire idea started? The entire idea and
plan started with the sidebar plugins, then moved to the kicker applet, then
to the search program ala Sherlock, and then eventually to the file
selectors.

There was some reason the file selector was worked on last. The purpose is
to make searching be a ubiquitous tool, something that you use for
everything. Being able to find files is very important for that, but it also
needs to have plugins other than for files. The file selector is just one
minor element of it; it is only so important because they are used a lot.

>You don't expect the file/open mockup in the web page to let you "open"
>an expedia map, right?

No, and that's why you don't mix plugins. I expect the file selector to find
files. Thus, it uses the file search plugin. The file search plugin support
searching file contents, if requested, searching metadata, searching by most
criteria you are going to use to find files.

> > Plugins are needed. You have misinterpreted their purpose. This thread
>was
> > started by a page I put up; go there to see what is the purpose of the
> > plugins, at least in part:
>
>I have read it.  It's a good thing, it would be great if KDE apps had
>pervasive searching.  But most of the time, people are searching for
>content in files.

So, why are plugins a problem? If you want to find a file, use the file
searching plugin. If you want to find something else, use another plugin.

The purpose of the plugins is to allow searching for multiple things. If you
want to reduce it to a system for indexing metadata and file information,
you're just trying to reduce the entire thing down to the file plugin. Why
would all the other plugins get removed? That just makes no sense.