List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-06-07 20:08:09

>From: Manuel Amador <rudd-o@amautacorp.com>
>Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 12:15:23 -0500
>
>El vie, 04-06-2004 a las 11:32, Jamethiel Knorth escribió:
> > However, it is far less useful when just searching for
> > files according to their names.
>
>Who said that?  The search engine is fed metadata other than the file
>name.  It then becomes a really, really powerful thing.

You're right, if the metadata can be properly and swiftly indexed, being
able to search with directions like 'a song longer than 2 minutes by kill
hannah' would be very useful. However, all the implementations I've seen
either required user input for metadata, were slow, or spent a lot of CPU
usage indexing, none of which is acceptable.