List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Default kicker postion
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <sebastien.laout () tuxfamily ! org>
Date:       2004-06-07 22:48:35

Le dim 06/06/2004 à 23:27, Florian Graessle a écrit :
> The MAC bar is no issue in Tina's proposal. The window title bar and
> toolbar are already close together. The kicker would be clearly divided from
> the window toolbar by the highly contrasting window title bar.
>
> Other than proposals usually made on this list, a kicker at the top is
> already possible. Why don't you just try it out for a few days and
> report what you experienced?
>
> I really don't know why people struggle so much against a kicker/taskbar
> at the top of the screen. I have heard lots of complaint about the mere
> idea. But very seldomly did I meet anyone who actually tried it out
> thoroughly. When someone finally did, he didn't switch back...

So, I've tested it today and after some whiles of disturbings (without
counting the other times of disturbings the other times I've tested and
reverted back to bottom) I begin to like it !
like ? love, perhapse :)

I'm even now used to put all non-maximized window very close to there
taskbar entry :

===[Bar][Foo][UsefullW][Bidule]====   <- The taskbar
  [---Foo window---]
  [................]
  [________________]

So, clicking the taskbar entry minimize the window with a beatifull
animation (more beatifull than when the animation has to travel all the
screen).
And because it make more sense :)

Sorry for my first judgment : have kicker on top (I always set kicker to
the smaller possible size : hate to lose precious pixels :-D ) is
benefic (would be better benefic when Bug #78950 would allow to have
close buttons as an applet of kicker).

It's to be noticed I use a notebook computer, so my eyes point upper the
up screen edge !!! Have kicker on top allow me to do not look very very
on bottom :-)
Quickly tested on a "normal" computer and the effect is less
perceptible.
I should perhapse test longer... but don't know.

I however still again a Left To Right remanagment !
It's losing and most peoples are right-handed : read from left to right.

I also profited to switch to Tina's green color scheme : I like it : it
change from the everywhere-used blue, and it is as beautifull.

Amically,

Sébastien Laoût.