List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: proposal for the konqueror sidebar
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-05-07 17:59:28

>From: Stian Søiland <stian@soiland.no>
>Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 15:54:33 +0200
>
>On 2004-05-07 07:31:12, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
>
> > Open          | >
> > Preview       | >
> > Actions         >
> > -----------------
> > Cut
> > Copy
> > Rename
> > Move to Trash
> > -----------------
> > Properties
>
>I like this one.
>
>Hm.
>
>I just discovered a feature in Windows that's almost like this.
>

>     Click on [Start] -> Programs.
>     Double click on one of the program folders.
>     The folder opens. Magic.
>

>However - that way is too secret, nobody would think of double clicking
>in a menu.
>
>However - this way could work so that the menu expands anyway - as
>expected - but if the user clicks on the parent item AGAIN - the parent
>item will open.
>
>To indicate this - the cursor should change to a Hand icon (to indicate
>a link).
>
>Problems: What if the user hovers over the item - the right menu opens -
>and the user clicks in the very same moment - he wanted to open the
>right menu.
>
>I don't think it's a good idea to just have a small  [->] button on the
>right hand side, it would be too hard to hit. However, by opening both
>on hovering AND on "right slide" - the same effect could be achieved.
>
>Ie:
>
>     Open     | ->          mouse over Open (no click - no hovering)
>        ^
>         \
>
>     Open     | ->          mouse sliding to the right against ->
>            ^
>             \
>

>     Open     | ->  Bla     right menu appears - even before mouse
>              ^     Bluh..        has reached ->
>               \    Fiskk
>

>This would have been very sexy - and should work for ALL menus having
>sub menus.

How is this better than having the majority of the bar be the standard
action, and having a little divider and then the expansion menu. This is
like the Back button in Internet Explorer, except that the entire button can
pop-up the menu.

So, if you click once (on  Open     | >  ) before the divider line, the file
is opened in the standard manner.

If you click once after the divider line, the extended menu is shown.

If you just hover over anywhere on the entry, the menu appears shortly.

If you click-and-hold before the line, then drag while staying on the entry,
the menu appears.

To me this seems fairly straightforward behavior.

The main issue is that it is unintuitive to have both a button and a menu on
one item. The advantage here for your regular user is that they only see the
regular button if they want to. If they click Open, it works as Open. That
is the standard action and the easiest action to reach. However, they still
have all the other actions available if they need them, but they don't have
a cluttered menu.