List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Drag and Drop Up-One-Level
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-05-07 18:07:19

>From: Peter Postmus <p.postmus@st.hanze.nl>
>Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 13:54:52 +0200
[massive snip]
> > >- I like the "Link" thing, it's something Unix have and it's good. We
> > >should
> > >provide a way to choose between Symbolic and Hard links.
> >
> > Tell that to whoever thinks that hard links should never be implemented
>in
> > KDE. They're just plain wrong, but the wishlist item always gets closed.
> > Hard links are a great Unix tool which some people just want to toss out
> > for no good reason.
>
>I just did a search on hard links (didn't know the difference myself), but
>wonder: would an ordinary user even want to know what kind of link is
>created? I don't think so. He or she just wants an item to be created,
>representing the file that is linked to.

It's not a matter of whether or not the ordinary user wants to know what
type of link is created, it's that it is currently impossible to create hard
links in KDE. The option should be available, possibly only as a somewhat
hidden configuration option if it needs to be. However, Hard Links are very
useful and they should not be tossed out just because they are somewhat hard
to understand. Although we need to somewhat cater to regular users, power
users are still a major portion of the user base, so the advanced features
really shouldn't be ignored.

>One general thought: if Up, Forward, Back etc. are going to be targets, how
>should we ask the user what he or she wants to do with the file when
>dropping
>it there (i.e. link, copy or move)? We could provide the same menu that
>appears when dragging&dropping "normally" (e.g., between two Konqui's). But
>IMO, this list should not appear over the Back, Forward or Up buttons, or
>their lists, because this would look too cluttered. Instead, I think we
>should let this list pop up in the center of Konqui. Although the user
>would
>have to move the mouse over a longer distance, it would provide a much
>cleaner look, which IMHO is definitely worth it.

I think it is not worth it, as it doesn't really provide a cleaner look. It
definitely looks a little better, but it also looks kinda silly. I mean, why
is the menu suddenly half-way across the screen, when I'm up here?

Also, those menu's are fairly well bordered so they don't look bad over
toolbars. Try opening a context menu over a toolbar: it isn't confusing or
bad looking.