List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: OS X style dock
From:       smitty () absamail ! co ! za
Date:       2004-05-03 6:32:34

> In OS X, when you close all the windows of an
> application, the application itself does not usually
> close. The application keeps running and the dock
> indicates this.
> To close the application you have to click file|quit,
> or press mac-q.
Quite the non-intuitive method of operating, both for those used to
computers and those new to them. (even if based on only my personal
experience and one observation). Although it is easy to get used to
because it is consistently applied. i.e. it is the only option.

The best thing about the dock bar is that it is simple.
i.e. the user is presented with a much reduced list of choices.

This is a very good thing if you are new to computers and still learning
what each option does, less options means less that you don't know and
less that you have to learn.

This is taken to the extreme, so much so that I actually find it
irritating coming from Linux (KDE) to Mac OSX.

> I propose an option to enable this functionality in
> KDE.
>
> If the option is disabled, applications will cease
> running when all windows have been closed.
>
> If the option is enabled, any applications that have
> been appropriately modified will continue to run when
> all its windows have been closed. Clicking the
> appropriate icon on the panel would create a new
> window for the application.
>
> If an application has not been appropriately modified,
> the application should cease running when all windows
> are closed. OS X does this.
>
> Some KDE applications have similar functionality
> already. This includes the likes of KsCD, Kopete,
> KMix. When all the windows of these programs are
> closed, all that remains is an icon on the system
> tray. I'm interested in having all kde programs
> behaving this way to the extent that a new Panel
> applet could be created that merges the system tray,
> task bar, and any application buttons (as is the case
> with OS X).
>
> I believe that this dock behaviour is one of the great
> strengths of OS X.

I believe the simplicity of the dock and the rest of Mac OSX is its
strong point, the fact that it is "pretty" to the average user also
doesn't hurt.

This simplicity is IMO achieved by reducing the options that the user
has to choose between.

Is it possile to hide menu items in the KDE menu?

i.e. click K, and have a much simplified menu pop up?
e.g.:
email
web
word processor
spreadsheet
presentation software
file manager

I know that you can cut the menu down, but I'm more interested in hiding
certain menu options that users are unlikely to need especially when
they are new to the system.

Then as the user feels more confident they should be able to turn on
options (that were hidden).

Probably a beginner (minimal) / intermediate (some - most) / expert
(all) as default levels which can be customised.

Liam