List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: OS X style dock
From:       Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <gustavo () gsbarbieri ! sytes ! net>
Date:       2004-05-05 5:49:32

I like the OS-X idea, i mean the idea, not the OS-X implementation.

That idea is present on NextStep and WindowMaker have something similar. I was
a WM user before changing to KDE and miss some things from it. Namely:

- Possibility to add a running program to dock. This could easily exist in
KDE, you could drag a taskbar element to de kpanel and an icon should be
added there to launch that command.

- Drag & Drop everywhere. Right now you can't remove icons from kpanel/kmenu
droping them on the trash can.

- Possibility to hide an app inside its icon in kpanel.

This last one may be what you guys were talking. I know it's problematic to
change that in KDE, it will need a lot of changes to the UI and the way users
use their computer.

If you consider the WM approach, merging KDE and Dock behaviour is not that
problematic, you just have to (as someone already said) have another applet
to replace taskbar. Imagine this new applet handles everything as icons. When
you start an app it show an icon, if you *minimize* the app, it behaves like
Mac dock, it's hidden under the icon. You can drag & drop the icon to the
"static" area, so when the app is closed it can be started (like kpanel does
now).  You shouldn't mess with systray... Mac have something similar (show
volume, battery, ...), but due it's dock func, it's not over used.
	Maybe some changes to have Close and Quit act different is cool, but this
requires more resources to implement.

Just one comment more: people said about the notion of you close the app and
it free the resources. Come on, it's a MS-Windows behaviour. And having that
much things in the systray undermine that understanding. As I said, I'm not
against system tray, but using that to play cds, korganizer, kopete and
amarok is too much. If something like the dock exists and it works, people
will get used to the idea of closing windows != quiting the program and will
start to use the menu to do so. If one doesn't use the menu, there's still
the shortcuts. Maybe we can put another possible (non used by default) window
button or just a modifier key to quit the app instead of closing it.
	As a side effect, you also vanish with those stupid popups about closing the
window will not quit the app (amarok, juk, kopete, ...)

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri