List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: View modes in konqueror
From:       Peter Postmus <p.postmus () st ! hanze ! nl>
Date:       2004-04-20 22:38:03

Jamethiel Knorth wrote:

>> From: Peter Postmus <p.postmus@st.hanze.nl>
>> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:44:39 +0200
>>
>> [...]
>>

>> You're right, but IMHO we still need to find a way to reduce the
>> number of
>> view modes appearing in the list, while maintaining functionality.
>

> You suggested elsewhere to move some of them into KDE-Addons. I think
> that might be the best solution. Text-view and info-list-view should
> be moved.

That wasn't me, but the solution is fine with me. Although I would
rather see Tree view go instead of Info list view (but that's me). I
just discovered the advantage of Info list view, while browsing fonts :).

[...]

> I do not know why others want text-view, but I have found that it is
> very easily readable if just put at a high font-size on bad screens
> and loads enormously faster. I used it exclusively when I was on a
> really slow system, because the lack of icons made a noticeable
> difference.
>
> Detailed View is the basic way to view the extra information about all
> the files in a directory. Tree view is significantly different in that
> it has a tree. This is better or worse, merely different. Many users
> find tree views to be very complex and confusing. The tree view also
> changes the browsing model by allowing directories to be opened
> without changing the current directory. The reason the tree-view has
> all the extra details is just that there is nothing else to put in
> that space, so why not.
>
> I'm not entirely against trying to clean them up, I just don't think
> it will happen so I'd rather not dwell on it.

Yeah I guess you're right.

> Although I would love to do so as well, I do not think it is feasible
> to keep the position of the file-view button consistent. An effort
> should be made, though, so it could at least be moved up in the
> listing to be closer to the core buttons that never move.

Ok.
By the way, I'm running Windows XP at the moment, and Explorer has five
basic file view modes: Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons, List and Details.
Pretty much the only difference between List and Details is that Details
also shows things like size, filetype, etcetera. It's comparable with
"Detailed List View". When viewing lots of images, the view mode
"Filmstrip" is added, which I think one of your file viewing-mode ideas
was based upon. I had just enough time to see this, after which Explorer
crashed ;).

In my opinion, they don't look cluttered (even when the sixth view is
added). But maybe that's because their names are shorter as well.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Peter Postmus