List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: View modes in konqueror
From:       Peter Postmus <p.postmus () st ! hanze ! nl>
Date:       2004-04-19 21:39:30

On Monday 19 April 2004 22:20, Leo Savernik wrote:

> Am Montag 19 April 2004 20:40 schrieb Peter Postmus:
> [...]
>
> > Except that in the first case, there are two buttons which configure the
> > same thing: the way files are represented. Two buttons is bad, because it
> > confuses people. They have a 50% chance of clicking on the "wrong" button
> > (they look very similar).
>
> They cannot. The currently active button is depressed.

But this only applies if the user wants to choose the other category of
viewing files. Most users really don't make a difference between the two
categories. So for them, each mode could be available under any of the two
buttons.

> [...]
>
> > > Hover over it. Then you get a tooltip which tells you the mode it is
> > > going to activate.
> >
> > So users must hold their mouse over the button and wait before they get
> > to see what the function of that button is? Not very good IMO (see my
> > arguments for not having two view mode-buttons above).
>
> If they really always need the text, they should activate "text below
> icons".

That's currently (in 3.2.1) not very usable because the text makes the buttons
far too wide (even when choosing "text under icons").

> [...]
>
> > I suggest combining these views into a single "List View" mode, which -
> > if people feel this is necessary - can be modified in the Konqueror
> > configuration window to incorporate features from the aforementioned
> > modes. In that case, "Info List View" could also disappear.
>
> No, the Info List View is a sophisticated special mode. It should not
> disappear.
>
> > This will shorten the amount of choices under a single button from six to
> > four or even three. I think your argument of power users having to long a
> > list to traverse, would be solved by this.
>
> I don't know how often power users switch between different list view
> modes. If they do, this solution will make their lives harder.

But if the Konqueror configuration window would provide detailed configuration
of a single "List View" mode, power users could adjust it to their taste (so
you could combine features of several list view modes in one view). IMHO,
this is better than providing lots of list view modes and hoping that one of
them will suit the needs of both power users and noobs, simply because it's
more flexible.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,