List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: View modes in konqueror
From:       Leo Savernik <l.savernik () aon ! at>
Date:       2004-04-19 20:39:53

Am Montag 19 April 2004 21:03 schrieb Richard Fish:
[...]
> While I don't consider myself to be a noob, I do spend _far_ too much
> time working in XP, which FYI has only one button for the view.

Has it? Maybe Win95 has two buttons, it's been quite a long time :-)

> And
> because I spend so much time in both XP and KDE, I frequently get
> confused about *which* of the two buttons I need to click and hold to
> bring up the view I want.  I might be able to get used to it in time
> though.

The current state is actually well thought out (though induced by technical
causes, not by usabililty studies). Because most of the time one wants to
switch between an icon view and a list view. These two buttons exactly
provide quick access to that usage pattern.

People who frequently switch between icon view and multicol view, OTOH, are
bitten (but multicol is quite mediocre, so I don't think many people use it).

> However, having two buttons is inconsistent with the view menu.  The
> "View Mode" menu makes no visible distinction between an "icon" and a
> "list" view.  This inconsistency is enough to convince me that the modes
> should be combined under a single button.

Indeed, that the first time I have seen this menu at all. I do not want that
menu as a drop down menu for a unified "view" button, it's too crowded.
Removing modes isn't an option either (we aren't gnome, are we?). A
compromise would be not to include all the modes, but only the most useful
ones, like:
- - icon view
- - list view

and the button toggling between them.

However, I think the current solution is better.

[...]
> Maybe there should be some keyboard shortcuts for rotating or activating
> specific views?  Would that satisfy your need to switch between
> icon/list views frequently?  Does anybody have any keys left for more
> shortcuts? ;->

Nooo! Not another Ctrl+Shift+Meta+Alt+F12 finger wrencher ;-)

[...]

mfg
	Leo