List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: View modes in konqueror
From:       Benoit Walter <b.walter () free ! fr>
Date:       2004-04-19 20:32:54

On Monday 19 April 2004 22:28, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Montag 19 April 2004 20:41 schrieb Benoit Walter:
> [...]
>
> > > Because nobody has implemented it. Simple as that.
> >
> > It is not a matter of sharing toolbar buttons for kparts, we have only to
> > list all view modes. It does not require anything to be changed, it is
> > already there in the menu. Just replace "viewmode_toolbar" in
> > konqueror.rc by "viewmode" and voila! (well, setDelay(false) and adding
> > an icon would be necessary).
> > So yes, that is possible and easy to do.
>
> Still somebody has to implement it ;-) Even if it's easy. And btw, this
> will *not* keep plugins from inserting their own toolbar buttons.

Well it is done, I have the patch ready... But I don't want to commit
something that is not agreed on.
Plugins can still insert other buttons, but for consistency and ease of use
switching between plugins view modes would be done from a single button, with
a clear meaning.

> > > The way it currently is, I nearly never (at least I cannot remember
> > > when I did it last) need the drop down menus at all, but I need
> > > switching between list view and icon view quite frequently.
> >
> > OK, that's a matter of taste :-) But let's test it with a few users, they
> > will much more easily understand the meaning of a single popup button.
> > For the moment, it is difficult to guess that those 3-5 icons without
> > text make it possible to change the view mode.
>
> Well, it's actually only about the two core buttons of konqueror. The
> others stem from plugins which we have no control over (they could insert
> 100 toolbar buttons, and it still wouldn't be konqueror's fault).

No, it is about every view modes (including cervisia, gwenview part, fileview,
etc...). The proposal is to have a button with the same contents as in the
menu (Edit->View mode).