List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: standardizing modes of text selection
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-03-24 6:19:47

Did anyone ever put together a proposal about this and send it to whom it
regards? If not, here is a proposal that might be worth using:

------------------------------------

- Standardizing modes of text selection in KDE -

Text selection in KDE should be consistent among all applications according
to the following rules:

Single-Click = No selection occurs

Single-Click & Drag = Select from the pointer, selecting by letters

Double-Click = Select the targeted word [1]

Double Click & Drag = Select the targeted word and continue to select by
word as the pointer moves, selecting to the beginning and end of any word
the pointer moves onto.

Triple-Click = Select the targeted row [2,3]

Triple-Click & Drag = Select the targeted row and continue to select by row
as the pointer moves, selecting to (inclusively) any line the cursor is
dragged over.

[1] The definition of word is not consistent and may need to be standardized
elsewhere, but not here.

[2] Select to the end of the displayed row of text, not to the next
line-break. This is not selection by paragraph.

[3] When selecting by row, the row size changes if the window is resized. In
this case, keep the current text selected, even though it may no longer be a
whole row. If the selection by row is further expanded by the user in a
row-by-row manner, expand the selection to encompass every row it is a part
of.

If there are no issues with this, could someone send it to someone who can
do something about it? I honestly do not know where it should be sent. Or,
if someone can tell me what list this belongs in, I can send it there also.

If those lists aren't KDE lists, it should likely have all the 'in KDE'
instances changed to 'on the desktop'.

If there is general agreement on this (there seems to be, disagree if there
is not), perhaps a line should be added to the end such as:

widely backed by the KDE usability team. To view the thread relating to
this, go to <http://lists.kde.org/?t=107956214800004&r=1&w=2>