List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: Konqueror Thumbnail Generation
From:       Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken () phys ! uu ! nl>
Date:       2004-03-20 13:41:11

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:

> Most definitely. Unless I am mistaken, I have reported to bugs which are
> caused by the irregularity of Thumbnails.

<snap>

> My solution would be to have all icons and thumbnails on transparent tiles
> of a set size. Then, nothing moves. Each icon or image would be centered in
> its tile, so that the display lines up nicely.

Yes, that would be nice. I think these tiles should just be imaginary by
default, I would not want to really see any tiles.

One more idea: It may be good if thumbs can scale to larger sizes than
ordinary icons can. You see, thumbs contain much more information than
icons, so it is useful to have them big sometimes. When the user enlarges
the icons in konqueror, the thumbs and icons will grow equally in size,
until the icons have reached their limit. If the users makes things even
bigger, only the tiles and the thumbs will grow. Other icons will not grow
bigger, they just go farther apart, because they are on the same grid.

> Also, have the tiles slightly
> configurable, so that people can have them backgrounded or outlined
> (particularly outlined). Possibly allow them to get more advanced display
> options through themeing, although I would wonder about the interface to
> that.

Well I would not care much about theming, it only adds more complexity.
For me, it would be nice enough if the thumbnail generator would add a
nice border, or a drop-shadow to the thumbs. But that's the responsibility
of the thumbnail generator itself, not konqueror's.

Dik