List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Review of SuSE Linux Professional 9.0 and so also KDE
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2004-03-20 13:50:14

Dnia sob 20. marca 2004 11:06, Luciano Montanaro napisał:
> On Saturday 20 March 2004 06:09, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
> > >Yes, IMO SuSE is the bad guy here because they include such old
> > > software in there distribution :)
>
> The problem is that acroread is often the only solution. But I suspect
> you know that. :)
>
> > The KDE PDF viewers are subpar. They are buggy and have a difficult
> > interface (can't scroll across pages, and when page-down is hit, it is
> > at the same point on the next page, so when you scroll down one page,
> > then hit page down, you need to scroll up the next page to start
> > reading it).
>
> Well, you can use the space bar to paginate to advance to the next
> section instead of the page down key.
>
> The problem with kde viewers is that both KGhostview and KPDF have
> problem with some of the PDF out there. KPDF page rendering is also
> awful, it never manages to select the right font, at least fo me.

Ha. Kind of relief it is not only my problem :/ Didn't reported as a bug
because for a long time I had broken ghostscript and thought it can be
a reason.

> And
> KGhostview relies on ghostscript, so it can handle only what ghostscript
> can handle. By the way, I think there is a new GPL Ghostscript out there,
> has it improved with PDFs?

Never had any problems with gs and pdf (7.07 currently).

m.

Learn Touch Typing with Vim? Oui. Ja. Yes. Tak:
  http://vim.sourceforge.net/script.php?script_id=461
vim.pl - http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/