List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: Konqueror Thumbnail Generation
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-03-20 15:21:46

>From: Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken@phys.uu.nl>
>Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 14:41:11 +0100 (CET)
>
>On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:

[snip]

> > My solution would be to have all icons and thumbnails on transparent
>tiles
> > of a set size. Then, nothing moves. Each icon or image would be centered
>in
> > its tile, so that the display lines up nicely.
>
>Yes, that would be nice. I think these tiles should just be imaginary by
>default, I would not want to really see any tiles.
>
>One more idea: It may be good if thumbs can scale to larger sizes than
>ordinary icons can. You see, thumbs contain much more information than
>icons, so it is useful to have them big sometimes. When the user enlarges
>the icons in konqueror, the thumbs and icons will grow equally in size,
>until the icons have reached their limit. If the users makes things even
>bigger, only the tiles and the thumbs will grow. Other icons will not grow
>bigger, they just go farther apart, because they are on the same grid.

That would be nice, but is there then no upper limit on icon-size?

> > Also, have the tiles slightly
> > configurable, so that people can have them backgrounded or outlined
> > (particularly outlined). Possibly allow them to get more advanced
>display
> > options through themeing, although I would wonder about the interface to
> > that.
>
>Well I would not care much about theming, it only adds more complexity.
>For me, it would be nice enough if the thumbnail generator would add a
>nice border, or a drop-shadow to the thumbs. But that's the responsibility
>of the thumbnail generator itself, not konqueror's.

I didn't really mean themeing, and I'm not sure why I said it. Baka. I meant
what you said. Options such as transparency and tint of background and
border, as well as background/border shape (at least rectangle/rounded
rectangle, possibly others, although I don't see why you would really want a
circle or a triangle or a star or an etcetera).